I can’t believe it’s been almost a year since I graduated from college. Time flies. One of my favorite things to do in preparation for commencement was graduation cap decorating. Since I was graduating with one of my best friends of over 10 years, we decided to take grad photos together and I insisted on decorating ours so they could match!
My friend is obsessed with Friends so we designed hers appropriately. Mine had one of my favorite quotes that felt perfect for the occasion.
For those decorating their own caps, follow these 5 quick and easy steps!
What you’ll need:
- A template
- Hot glue and a hot glue gun
- Sewing or safety pins
- Fabric (I recommend felt)
- Pen or pencil
What to do:
- Pick a design and a fabric! I recommend using felt because it’s easy to cut and has a little give.
- Print out your design template or create your own.
- Cut out the template and pin it to the felt before tracing.
- Trace your template on to the fabric using a pen or pencil and cut the felt accordingly.
- Use hot glue to seal the pieces on to your cap!
Quick tip: Make sure you’re arranging things on the square top as a diamond so it’ll sit properly when it’s on your head. And be careful when gluing down the fabric to the grad cap! I accidentally glued mine upside down and it was nerve-racking to take back off since the felt can rip.
I found my inspiration on Pinterest, where there are an endless number of ideas. Happy decorating!